Using modern materials and solutions, Catalan architect David Closes restored the beautiful convent of Saint Francesc, located in the Catalan town of Santpedor. Originally built between 1721 and 1729 by Franciscan priests, the church was neglected for centuries, being on the verge of demolition.
The renovation of the building took seven years, during which period Closes retained the spaces were still salvageable, and opted for modern volumes, with glass and steel, where the church was too damaged to be restored. Also, new and modern features were added to the building, like a steel staircase on the exterior, a new ramp above the nave, a new deck, reading cloisters and bathrooms.
An important factor was the lighting of the interior spaces, that reveals the beauty of the newly constructed building, without altering the spaces and dimensions.
(via David Closes)