The Cahill Center was constructed on Caltech’s newer southern campus, Pasadena, California. While obviously modern, it was designed to visually connect to the university’s historic northern campus, whose 1917 master plan was created by Bertram Goodhue. The Cahill Center’s north-south orientation, horizontal layout, and scale refer to the historic Spanish and Mediterranean influences of the northern campus.
The exterior cladding—red fiber reinforced cement panels—was selected for its recycled content and clean finish. Inside, the building offers a collaborative environment for a dozen different academic departments. The ground level includes a library and auditorium—public spaces that facilitate spontaneous interaction between students and faculty. Glazing provides natural light and views to athletic fields and the San Gabriel Mountains.